Accrual of Paid Sick Leave
Student Employees of the University of Connecticut begin to accrue paid sick time beginning January 1, 2012 or upon hire, whichever is later, under the following terms and conditions:
- Student Employees accrue one hour of paid time for every forty (40) hours actually worked.
- The maximum accrual of sick time hours is forty (40) hours per calendar year.
- Student Employees may carry over a maximum of 40 hours of unused sick time from one calendar year into the next but the employee shall not be able to use more than the forty (40) hours in one (1) calendar year.
- Under no circumstances are Student Employees entitled to any payout for accumulated but unused sick leave.
Use of Paid Sick Leave
- Student employees shall be entitled to the use of accrued paid sick leave upon the completion of their 680th hour of employment with the University measured from January 1, 2012 or from their date of hire if hired after January 1, 2012.
- Sick leave must be taken in one (1) hour increments.
- A maximum of forty (40) hours of sick leave may be used each calendar year.
- Sick leave may only be used in lieu of previously scheduled hours.
Pay Rate for Sick Leave
- Sick leave will be paid at the Student Employee’s normal hourly rate at the time the leave is taken.
Reasons for Use of Paid Sick Leave
Student Employees may only use accrued paid sick leave for the following reasons:
- To treat the employee’s own illness, injury or health condition; for the medical diagnosis, care or treatment of the employee’s own mental illness or physical illness, injury or health condition; or for preventative medical care for the employee.
- For the treatment of the employee’s child or spouse’s illness, injury or health condition; the medical diagnosis, care or treatment of an employee’s child’s or spouse’s mental or physical illness, injury or health condition; or preventative medical care for the employee’s child or spouse.
- For the employee’s treatment or services related to the employee’s status as a victim in a family violence or sexual assault incident, for the medical care or psychological or other counseling for physical or psychological injury or disability; to obtain services from a victim services organization; to relocate due to such family violence or sexual assault; to participate in any civil or criminal proceedings related to or resulting from such family violence or sexual assault.
If the reason for the sick leave is foreseeable, the Student Employee must provide at least seven (7) days advance notice to their supervisor, or if the leave is not foreseeable, the Student Employee must provide as much notice as is practicable.
Documentation signed by a health care provider indicating the need for the number of days taken may be required by the Student Employee’s supervisor for leaves of three (3) or more consecutive days.
Reference: Public Act 11-52